Today my darling husband turns 25.
And since it seems customary to do one big birthday post for the people you love most -
I decided this is the year for the one I love the very most.
1. James Clarence Barker Jr. was born on March 24, 1986
2. Moments after his twin sister Allison was born.
3. The Barkers were living in Vienna, Virginia when the twins came along.
4. But they were actually born at Cottonwood Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah.
5. Since Jim (James Dad) was attending Law school his Mom went to SLC where the two could get more help with the new munchkins from family.
6. He is the only boy - with an older sister - a twin sister - and a baby sister.
7. He has looked like an accountant from the age of four.
8. He had one weak eye.
9. And wore a patch on the other to strengthen his bad eye. (pirate)
10. The kid loves his sugary cereal - and used to lick the bowl clean - then flip it over and leave it on his bed next to the licked clean spoon all day.
11. He loves his Mama and always talks about how kind she is.
12. He was on the swim team as a youngster. And wore a speedo.
13. He loved legos - and maybe still does.
14. He once kicked a whole in the wall while laying down because his Mom let Lizzie stay home from school and not him.
(his Mom was so happy - because she got to repaint her kitchen!)
15. His Dad was involved in politics - so he spent a lot of time here.
16. He had a dog named Maggie - that was his first love - after soccer of course.
17. He can do a fabulous impression of Mickey Mouse
18. And a Seagull
19. When watching TV he likes to be as close to it as possible.
20. James was an eagle scout.
21. He collected shoes for poor countries as his project.
22. And one day wants to turn a van into a shoe
(like the dog van in dumb and dumber)
to collect shoes for Haiti.
23. Yes, he is serious. MY minivan is going to look like an old dirty shoe. Awesome.
24. James played soccer.
25. and Tennis.
26. and Golf.
27. and Basketball.
28. But mostly church basketball - it was extremely competitive.
29. And James invited all of his non-Mormon friends to play!
(no he was not trying to baptize them - he just wanted to win)
30. Stake dances were the it thing in the D.C. area and he loved them.
31. Somewhere along the way his family moved from Vienna to Oakton.
33. In Fairfax County - which James frequently likes to remind me is the #1 county for public schools in the country.
34. Even though James was not into school back in those days.
35. He smells EVERYTHING.
36. His Junior year he qualified to play for the State Golf Tournament over the top Senior.
37. And gave up his spot - so the Senior could play.
38. The paper wrote an article about his incredible sportsmanship.
39. The kid seriously had the best temperament - even in sports.
40. Speaking of sports. He is obsessed with the Redskins Football Team.
41. And forces me to sing their fight song on a regular basis.
42. He got his first kiss at a BYU sports camp.
43. In high school he always dated Allisons friends.
44. He went to early morning seminary at the nastiest time.
45. He and Allison became super close during High School.
46. They realized each other didn't have coodies then.
47. James was runner up for Mr. Madison at his high school.
48. He is a mini Jim Barker. Has the exact same mannerisms.
49. Allison and her friends gave him a makeover in high school when they told him he shouldn't buzz his head anymore.
50. He was quite the dancer in high school.
51. And has quite a few good dramatic dating stories from the good ol days.
52. He was voted Best All Around.
53. He went to a year at BYU before he went on his mission.
54. Lived in Helaman Halls and had the best time.
55. On March 25, 2005 he got his mission call to serve in Port au Prince, Haiti - speaking Haitian Creole.
56. He knew that was where he was supposed to serve and was over the moon excited
but his parents were extremely worried about his safety.
58. Two weeks before he entered the MTC the Haiti mission was closed to all Americans and his mission call was changed to Montreal, Canada french speaking.
59. It was devastating to James and he was livid. But wounded up teaching almost all Haitians in Montreal and learned both French and Creole.
60. He loves.loves.loves. Haitians.
61. He had a girlfriend when he left - but not when he came home. But I will always be grateful for her support to James.
62. He came back to BYU and lived at Lanai where he made the most incredible group of friends.
63. And yes, he was a bit of a zoob. He studied all day every day - even on the weekends.
64. He was going to be in politics like his Dad but was turned off by the presidential election.
65. He decided on Accounting instead.
66. Have I mentioned that he has an incredible group of friends? They all lived in the same complex for years and are some of my very favorite people.
67. He lived with two crazy freshman - fresh off the mish. And often reprimanded them. Poor boys.
68. They are now two of his best friends.
69. He sings in the car at loud volumes - and pounds on the dashboard as if they are drums. He thinks he is really good. Dont tell him otherwise.
70. He worked at a French Bakery - just so he could speak French.
71. He won the xtax competition at BYU - and went to nationals.
Which nabbed him an internship with PWC.
72. He has hair that stands straight up - and its known as the beaver pelt by many. (and I love it!)
73. He went to Haiti in 2009 because he had felt like he was supposed to go since his call. He went with Healing Hands for Haiti.
74. A month later while at his internship - he met a girl on the beach in Newport.
75. Fate and timing are incredible.
How we got placed together that day is a series of miraculous events.
(But you all know the story from there - you can read it here)
78. When we were first dating we would stay up talking all night -
and one night I never slept before I had to be on the news -
so James brought the entire newsroom bagels.
79. He has Bieber Fever.
80. He loves ice cream! Especially Nielsons Custard.
He takes my Grandma on dates there all the time.
(And my Dad - but shh don't tell my Mom)
81. He and his best friend Mike are obsessed with Excel. He uses it for everything.
82. He talks to his Dad almost every day. And looks up to him a lot.
83. He is known for being very proper. And once told someone he was courting me.
Thought it was totally normal.
84. I was the first girl he let be in his bedroom. Rebel.
85. When he wants to get off the phone he says.. I have got to let you go now. Without fail - every time - even to me!
86. When he propsed the first thing that came out of his mouth was...
I know I can be a real stinker sometimes...
87. He is extremely organized. Extremely.
88. He has a bubble butt. And I noticed it the first time we met. Love it.
89. The first thing he does in the morning is check the stock market and ESPN.
90. He does an incredible impression of the youtube video My Pushup Bra Will Help Me Get My Man.
91. He went back to Haiti while I was in NYC - this was the first time after the earthquake. We plan to go back many times throughout our life.
92. He adores my parents. And they adore him back. So much so that sometimes I think they would pick him over me.
93. Before me - he slept with a football in his arms. No, not a stuffed soft football. A real genuine hard as a rock football.
94. He still only buys CDs. He is not savvy on the whole iTunes bit.
95. He is the most sincere person you will ever meet. What you see is what you get with James.
96. He is extremely even tempered. I have never heard him yell and highly doubt that I ever will.
97. Because he is so proper most people don't know how snuggly, loving, and affectionate he is.
98. Although when the man is hungry - back away!
99. Because of him I wake up every single morning and say - I love being married!
100. He is the worlds greatest friend and has the best heart in the world. I love him more and more every day.
Happy Birthday James.
I hope it is the best one yet -
Here is to many many many more Birthdays with me by your side.
I love you!
We got some wonderful early birthday news yesterday...
James passed round 1 (financial) of the CPA exam.
Supposedly the hardest test of them all.
SO proud of you!
I bought him this balloon while on campus today.
When he picked me up I started screaming I was so excited.
James kept a straight face.
I am pretty sure he was mortified.
Isn't he just so cute?